We had a chance to try out a new vegan meat substitute called Omni Meat on this beautiful Green Monday 💚
Omni Meat is a plant-based alternative that aims to replace minced meat. Originally named, OmniPork, this meat alternative is made out of shiitake mushrooms, peas, rice and non-GMO soy.
Is has the VKD seal of approval for the fantastic texture and taste.
We decided to use Omni Meat to make a authentic South African dish called Bobotie. Bobotie is a delicious fusion of the Dutch and Malay culinary influences from the mid-1600s. It's a spicy, slightly sweet mince dish with an eggy custard topping. Obviously veganized by us 💚 one of my all time favorites and so happy with the outcome. Delicious 🤤
* 450g plant-based milk
* 2 slices bread of choice
* 2 garlic cloves
* 2 cm piece fresh ginger
* 1 brown onion
* 2 tsp olive oil
* 1000g vegan mince or cooked lentils
* 1 - 2 tbsp curry powder
* 30g white vinegar
* 30g chutney of choice
* 30g brown sugar
* 30g tomato paste
* 50g sultanas
* 1 Orgran EasyEgg egg
* 2 tsp sea salt
* ½ tsp ground black pepper
Vegan Egg topping:
* 3 Orgran EasyEgg eggs
* ½ tsp salt
* ¼ tsp ground black pepper
* 3 fresh bay leaves
* Preheat oven to 180°C.
* Add plant-based milk into a bowl, then add bread and set aside to soak.
* Add garlic, ginger and onion into a processor and chop until fine.
* Place in a pan with 2tsp olive oil and sauté.
* Add vegan mince or lentils and sauté for a further 4 minutes.
* Squeeze milk out of reserved bread mixture and set the milk aside.
* Add squeezed bread, curry powder, vinegar, chutney, sugar, tomato paste, sultanas, Orgran egg, salt and pepper to pan and cook for 2 minutes while stirring mixture.
* Transfer into an ovenproof dish and smooth top with spatula.
Vegan Egg topping:
* Place Orgran eggs, salt, pepper and reserved milk into a food processor and blend. Pour over vegan meat mixture and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
* Arrange bay leaves over top, then bake for 45 minutes (180°C). Serve with sides of choice.
** Bobotie is typically served with yellow rice, apricot chutney and a green salad. For added flavour, add slivered almonds to the egg topping before baking.