Pecan Pie with a sweet shortcrust
* 160g plain flour
* 50g icing sugar
* 10g ground almonds
* 50g coconut oil, cold (solid not liquid)
* 50g dairy free margarine, cold
* 1 tbsp cold water
* 140g pecan halves
* 220g brown sugar
* 2 tbsp all-purpose flour, plus extra to dust
2 tbsp cornstarch
* 1 flax egg
* 225g plant based double cream
* Vanilla Ice cream (optional)
* Add all the ingredients, except water, into a food processor. Mix well, until it has a crumb consistency.
* Add 1 tbsp of cold water and mix on the processor again for a few seconds. If you take a hand full of dough, it should form a ball. If not add another tsp of cold water and mix again until it forms a ball
* Remove dough, form a ball, then wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
* Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured smooth surface. Knead the dough briefly for a few seconds to make it easier to roll out.
* Transfer dough into your pie dish, if there are any holes, just patch it up and continue.
* Chill the pastry in the pie dish for 20 minutes whilst you preheat the oven to 190C.
* Add 70g pecan halves to a bowl and set aside for decoration.
* Add the remaining 70g pecans into a processor and chop to a crumb consistency. Transfer to a separate bowl and set aside.
Add the brown sugar, flour, cornstarch, flax egg and whipping cream into a sauce pan, simmer until it has thickened.
* Cover the bottom of the pastry shell with the reserved chopped pecans and slowly pour warm filling over the nuts. Decorate with reserved pecan halves and bake on the bottom rack for 20-30 minutes or until the filling has set.
* Allow it to cool down and enjoy it with vegan vanilla ice cream.